What Is Spousal Support?
Spousal Support Lawyer in Lexington, SC
The determination of spousal support is, in many divorces, the most important issue and the one which causes the greatest delays in settlement. Whether you are seeking alimony or if you may be ordered to pay spousal maintenance, the outcome of this situation may potentially determine your ability to move comfortably into your life after divorce. Come to The Farley Law Firm, LLC, for committed representation on this important matter. I know how important it is for you to prevent an unfavorable final settlement, and will do everything I can throughout the divorce process to protect your personal interests.
How Is Spousal Support Awarded in SC?
Spousal support is most commonly awarded in divorces where one of the marital partners earns a higher income. In the past, this was nearly always the husband, but that is no longer true, and increasing numbers of men are requesting-and receiving-alimony payments. South Carolina Code of Laws Section 20-3-130 lists a number of factors for the judge to consider in determining whether to award spousal support:
- How long you have been married
- Your age and mental and physical condition
- How long it will take the dependent spouse to secure the education or training necessary to find suitable employment
- Each party's current earning power
- Your current standard of living
- What percentage of the marital assets and debts each spouse will receive in the property division
- Whether the parent who receives child custody will be able to work or will need to stay home to care for the children
- Whether it is a fault based or no-fault divorce
- Any other factors which the judge deems relevant
Spousal support is either awarded on a temporary or permanent basis, depending on how long the judge sees it will be necessary. When I represent you as a Lexington divorce attorney, I will argue passionately on your behalf for an arrangement which does not place an undue strain on your finances, as I care to help you move into this new phase of your life in the best possible position.